1. Blueberry jelly beans were made especially for Ronald Reagan.
2. Checkmate comes from the Persion word “shah mat”, which means ‘the king is dead’.
3. The U.S. consumes more oil than any other country in the world. In 2006, the U.S. consumed as much as the entire European Union and Japan combined.
4. No president of the U.S. has been an only child.
5. It takes seven shuffles to thoroughly mix a 52-card deck.
6. Picasso could draw before he could walk.
7. The first e-mail was sent in 1972 by Ray Tomlinson. It was also his idea to use the @ symbol to separate the name of the user from the name of the computer.
8. The opposite sides of a dice cube always add up to seven.
9. One in ten people in the world live on an island.
10. The first daily broadcast was started by the BBC in November 1936.
11. The word “millionaire” was first used by Benjamin Disraeli in his 1826 novel Vivian Grey.
12. If the amount of water in your body is reduced by just 1%, you feel thirsty.
13. A storm officially becomes a hurricane when cyclone winds reach 74mph (119k/h).
14. There is enough concrete in the Hoover Dam to pave a two lane highway from San Francisco to New York.
15. The average life span of a peasant in medieval ages was 25 years.
16. Milk chocolate was invented by Daniel Peter, who sold the concept to his neighbor Henri Nestle.
17. Alexander Graham Bell, the inventor of the telephone, never telephoned his wife or mother because they were both deaf.
18. A language becomes extinct in this world every two weeks.
19. The word ‘umbrella’ is derived from the Latin root word ‘umbra’, which means shade or shadow.
20. The tongue of a blue whale is as long as an elephant.
21. Domestic cats purr at about 26 cycles per second, the same frequency as an idling diesel engine.
22. A grand piano can be played faster than an upright piano.
23. The six official languages of the United Nations are: Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian, and Spanish.
24. The Boeing 737 is nicknamed Fat Albert.
25. The twelve days of Christmas are December 24th to January 5th.
26. As an iceberg melts, it makes a fizzing sound because of the compressed air bubbles popping in the ice.
27. The first lighthouse was in Alexandria in 290 B.C.
28. From the age of thirty, humans gradually begin to shrink in size.
29. The U.S. has the most cinemas, but India produces the most movies.
30. The people killed most often during bank robberies are robbers.
31. To most Americans, the orient is China, Japan, Korea, and Vietnam; to Europeans, it is India and Pakistan.
32. In a desert, a mirage is caused when the air near the ground is hotter than the air higher up. As light from the sun passes from cooler to warmer air, it speeds up and is refracted upward, creating the image of water.
33. The reason why your nose gets runny when you are crying is because the tears from your eyes drain into your nose.
34. The Dutch people are known to be the tallest people in Europe.
Read Full Post »