Since this is the (obviously) first list for Life Lists, I decided to make a list of firsts, such as the following, that can give you inspiration to keep pursuing your dreams:
1. Guion “Guy” Bluford, Jr. – First African-American in Space (1983)
2. Anne Dudley Bradstreet- considered to be America’s first poet in 17th century New England and the first published American woman writer.
3. James Cook- First person to cross the Antarctic Circle in 1773
4. Mary Kies- First woman to be issued a U.S. Patent. She was granted a patent for the rights to a technique for weaving straw with silk and thread to make bonnets.
5. Elizabeth Blackwell- First woman to receive a medical degree in the U.S. (1849)
6. William Carney- In 1863, he became the first black to receive the Congressional Medal of Honor
7. Matthew Webb- In 1875, he became the first known person to swim across the English Channel.
8. Oscar Straus- First Jewish ambassador from the U.S. (Ambassador to Turkey) (1887)
9. Al Jolson- In 1927, he had the lead role in the first talking motion picture, “The Jazz Singer”.
10. Janet Guthrie- First woman to qualify and race at the Indianapolis 500 (1977)
11. Wilma Mankiller- In 1985, she became the first woman to lead a major American Indian tribe. She was elected Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation.
12. Nancy Pelosi- First female U.S. Speaker in 2007.